half a cat

What's bloody and has two legs? Half a cat.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Primary vs. Releif Society

Well, I've been released from Primary and called to Relief Society. Whoa.

I really wasn't expecting this, I thought I'd be the Primary President until I moved next August. I was gearing myself up for it, tyring to get pumped again, trying to get my second wind. It didn't come and it didn't come. Just another example of the Lord understanding our needs (our needs and our husband's--Jason really was getting tired of hearing about it).

I'm having mixed feelings about it, however. I will miss the kids terribly. I love them and they love me. It was wonderful knowing that I could go to primary and the kids would throw their arms around me and call me "Teacher Hair." I will also have a difficult time handing over the reins. Primary has been my baby and I've watched over it carefully. It was never far from my thoughts, and I spent a lot of time making sure everything was going well. But I am pleased to let someone else take over, and help the kids and leaders in ways I was unable.

When I was first called as the president, the bishop gave me one charge. He told me "to make every child feel welcome." There are many things I feel I'm leaving undone, many things I could have done better, but I'm leaving knowing I've accomplished at least that. We definitely have made every child who has walked through our doors, feel loved and welcome. And through that, I know they've felt Christ's love for them as well. And isn't that what it is all about?

Now, to Relief Society. They've called me as the first counselor, I'll be over the music and teachers and all RS instruction. I'm really excited to be back among the adults, to have adult lesons and conversation, but I honestly don't know anything about running RS. I haven't even been there in over 2 years! This will be another adventure, and one I'm really looking forward to. And, as an added bonus, I already love the RS president. She is from England, accent and all, and is spunky and says "aw, crumbs" when something disappoints her. This will be great, and I'm excited!

Well, a new season, a new change.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Caroline said…

    Congrats on being called to the Relief Society! And congratulations to have served so faithfully in your calling in the Primary. I know that you were a wonderful Primary president and that your children loved you very much. I am sure they are sad to see you go!

    Oh, your RS president is from England? How cool!

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Lisa (Espanish for "Lisa") said…

    Maybe I should start saying "Oh, crumbs!", there certainly are a lot of opportunities for a president to say it. (OK, it wouldn't be so cool coming from me). congrats on the calling change. 1st counselor is still way busy, but it sounds like with all that you and Jason have going on, not being responsible for "everything" is probably a nice break. I'm sure you miss those kids dearly though. It sounds like you were a great Primary president.

    (oh, and thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm not even sure who has the address anymore)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home