half a cat

What's bloody and has two legs? Half a cat.

Friday, August 11, 2006

We all need lighter spirits

Friends, friends, everywhere! Thank you for not giving up on me, thank you for encouraging me to post, thank you for your well wishes and kicks in the butt!

There is so much sadness in the world, and it seems, especially lately, to be getting worse and plaguing people I care about. Amidst all of this, we need to find things that lighten our spirits and help lift our load. I would like to make this "Welcome Back" post a tribute to some of the things that do this for me.

  • www.explodingdog.com This website is the baby of creative genius Sam Brown. Viewers email him "titles" and he creates pictures from what they send. I encourage you to check it out. He updates it several times a week and I LOVE it. Some of his pictures are gross, with blood and knives and busted open heads, but many are sweet, witty, and down-right hilarious. The one shown is called " i wish i could fly." My computer desktop always has one of his pictures on it, the flavor of the week. I realize it takes a person with a certain sense of humor to enjoy it, and I am one of them! In fact, if you are aching to buy me a gift and can't think of anything, buy one of his picture books! I would lovelovelove it! This website definitely lightens my load.

  • NBC's "The Office" If you haven't seen this show, or have and didn't enjoy yourself, stop by my apartment on Thursday night and get ready for the best 1/2 hour of the day! Jason and I can't get enough of Dwight, Pam, Jim, Michael, Kevin, Stanley, and the rest of them.

  • Riding a bike I really enjoy riding my bike. It's not a great bike, and I don't do it nearly as much as I should, but it's wonderful to just be outside, zooming (well, sort of zooming) around, and waving to other bikers on my way by. I wish I had a better bike, and a helmet might be nice, but for the time being, what I have will do. I just need to get out there and do it more often!
  • Singing along It's not a secret that I love to sing. I love to sing almost anything that I know the words to, especially musicals. "Take Me Back to the Black Hills," "A Lovely Night," "Before the Parade Passes By," "One Boy," and all the rest. I find so much joy in beautifully sung harmonies. Let's face it, I also find joy in Barbra Streisand. Singing along with her lifts my spirits instantly!

And now, the last on today's list of load lighteners...

  • JOURNAL WRITING There is nothing quite as relaxing and thought-provoking as opening my journal and writing down all my fears, anxieties, annoyances, dreams, and triumphs. I used to be much better at writing then I have been the last year or so, but these last two weeks have been a step in the right direction. Evaluating myself to myself is the one way I've found to keep tabs on my progression--spiritual and physical, the one way I've found to vent without hurting feelings, the one way I've found to show my future children the kind of person I really am--probably not unlike the kind of people they will be. Journal writing makes it to the top of my list.

I hope I've given you some ideas. If not, I hope you've started a mental list of the things in your life that bring you joy. As you make an effort to find little things to lift you up, you will better be able to help others as well!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home